Friday, December 15, 2006

freedom-induced anxiety

I'm having a hard time coping with the loss of responsibility. Aside from running, I have no other obligations. I don't know how to function like this. I'm used to always having a script to work on or chapters to read or a pitch to prepare. Now I don't. But instead of embracing this new found freedom and relaxing, it just gives me more anxiety. I feel useless sitting around watching TV and reading for pleasure. So, while I try my hardest to let go of all of that stress, I have also made a list of things I want to do over break. Remember, my break lasts until the end of February, so I've got a lot of time here.

- Revise "Off The Clock" and my carnival pilot, for which I still haven't come up with a fitting name.
- Write another spec script. Top contenders include 30 Rock, The Office, My Name Is Earl, or How I Met Your Mother.
- Finish Catch 22.
- Finish training and run the half marathon (Tomorrow is 12 miles, but it's my last big training day before the run. Sigh. Of. Relief.)
- Sign up for an Improv class in LA.
- Snowboard. Snowboard. Snowboard.
- Write the chapter on Disney. It's a three parter, but I've already started, so something should be up soon.

I'm leaving work early now. By brother and his girlfriend are coming to Chicago for the weekend and this provides a wonderful excuse for me to peace out before five.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started reading Catch 22 last year during finals so I wouldn't distract Jenny. I still haven't finished it. It's funny though!

Anonymous said...

me too. Although you were busier.

The bad part is, I don't know what to do besides absolutely nothing with this new freedom. I can't be partially productive, that just doesn't click