Saturday, March 31, 2007

Fake Baggy is almost as obnoxious as Real Baggy (almost)

Maybe two internships wasn't smart? I mean...45 hours a week of not getting paid? Okay, that's not true. Offspring doesn't pay but I do get 30 bucks a week from Weinstein. So....if I spend 30 bucks a week of my own money, and the 30 bucks from Weinstein, I can sustain a living for at least a month. Then I go home, graduate college, hopefully get money from family, and that will sustain me for a little bit longer. Maybe I'll find some sort of flexible weekend job, too. We'll see.

I should be at Universal right now for my last shift. But I skipped it. I want to go running and be productive. I don't want to spend a nice day wearing a straw hat and stamping hands. Most of the people I work(ed) with are either much older than me or obnoxious high school kids, which probably added to my already legitimate reasons for quitting. As for the two internships and quitting my job business...I came out here to work in the industry. Not to work at Unviersal Studios Hollywood. Sure things aren't all that lucrative at the moment but two internships doubles my chances of getting a job, plus doubles my contacts, which doubles my chances of getting my scripts read, which doubles my chances of getting an agent in the future.

I auditioned for Groundlings and passed, so I got into the school. All that means is I don't suck, so I don't have to take the intro workshops. I'm really excited to start next week. Who knows, if I decide I love improv more than writing, I may be back in Chicago sooner than planned. But for now, my plan is to stay in Cali, live with Mike for a year, then next June I'll reevaluate my life and see where I want to be and what I want to do.

Yesterday was the last day of Semester in LA, so if you don't count my online Bio class (which I wouldn't, since I put more effort into making a turkey sandwich than I put into studying), I am officially done with college! Sure, I'm interning, which means I'm still a college student and getting credit and what not. But, as of today I am officially on the "done with class, time to get a real job" train. It's very overwhelming. I already miss SLA. In 24 hours I've gone from going to a bungalow at the CBS Studio Center and hanging out making jokes all day, to being at the absolute bottom of the latter. Luckily, starting Tuesday I get to feel important again when I start at The Weinstein Company and get to work in the Variety building in LA. And even more exciting on Thursday when I go into Offspring Entertainment for the first time, which is on the Walt Disney Studios lot.

Since I skipped work, I'm making up for it by being ultra-productive. Meaning...

1. Finally send out the Thank You cards that I have had for 2 months.
2. Go running.
3. Final revisions of my Earl spec.
4. Laundry.
5. Clean room.
6. Call my grandma.

As of now, I haven't done any of it. I swear, I'll start soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we're having cyber sex right now so this is a short comment.

i'm tickling your ankles.

Anonymous said...

I called my gramma today too! I hope it was letter writing gramma with grampa who takes a nap.

Anonymous said...

My mom makes pottery, and I love to be tickled!

Anonymous said...

I may have to go hunt down my doppleganger. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

And P.S., you know there are no homeless people in L.A., so if you run out of money you're gonna be picked up and driven to the desert.