I started interning at The Weinstein Company today. You're probably wondering what it's like. Well, let me tell you.
You're probably wondering about my desk. I don't have one. I have an end table that I put my computer on. I'm constantly in the way, but I'm working at a premiere film production company, and there are a lot of college students that would love to be sitting at my make-shift desk, so I'm not complaining. Speaking of other college students, none of the other interns start until mid-May, but I'm there now. I'm not sure why this is, but as long as I'm still out by July 1st, I don't care.
You're probably wondering where the office is. It's right across the streets from the La Brea tarpits, if that means anything to you. It's fancy and has a courtyard with fountains. The fact that I never had an official interview and was basically hired off my cover letter left me feeling a bit apprehensive about the validity of this internship, but I do officially work at the LA offices of The Weinstein Company, which is neat-o. Yes. There is a hyphen in neat-o.
You're probably wondering what I do all day. Well, my days are about ten hours long or so. Today I spent the first half organizing, labeling, and putting covers on the many, many scripts that Karen, my boss, has lying around. As a story editor, she has a shitload of scripts to read. So many, in fact, that she can't get through them all. And who is there to help her read through the shitty scripts? That would be me. My second half of the day was spent reading a screenplay and writing coverage (a summary and comments). Basically, a majority of the screenplays sent to companies are shit. My job is to read the shit, mark it as shit, and tell my boss that it's shit, so that she has one less piece of shit to read. I had to sign some confidentiality papers, which sucks because this blog would be a perfect place for entries of the "OMG you won't believe this fucking script I read today and how stupid it was" variety.
I like it. Long hours and actual work are nots things that I have ever been fond of, but I'm working in the industry and its pretty exciting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I've been to those tar pits actually when I was in LA a few years back. My parents were fasincated by them, but I just thought it was smelly and hot. I think we're talking about the same tar pits.
You should decorate your table with pictures and with that sock I sent you in the mail!
Post a Comment