Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I don't hate life anymore, for now.

Writers write.

That's what Uncle Jim told me last week when I went to Huntington Beach for Easter. Writers write.

He also told me never to hire my friends, that public television should be dismantled, and that horses should have lights strapped to their heads in case they escape their stables after dark, but for now, but that's neither here nor there.

So why can't I write lately? I mean, aside from blogging which I don't even really consider actual writing because it takes no creativity whatsoever. I know I need to work on something. I need to keep "flexing that muscle," as many of our guest speakers at CBS said. I can't help it though, I'm just never in the mood. I blame it on the internships. When you're reading scripts for 10 hours a day, by the time you get home at 8pm, writing your own is the second to last thing on your mind. (The last thing on your mind, of course, is strapping a light to a horse's head). So I'll just save it for this weekend. Then there's no excuse.

Speaking of weekends, I love my improv class. Wait, Steve, didn't you already take improv? No, you fucking moron. I dropped it because I was too advanced and because I got a job at Universal (see how well that worked out?) Now I'm in a higher level, and the people in it with me are loads of fun. Some are even my age, which is a nice change of pace.

Drive is one of my new favorite shows. It just started but I'm already obsessed. It's by the guy that did Firefly and Wonderfalls, so you know it's not just some lame ripoff of Fast and the Furious. My mouth is wide open for the entire duration of an episode. You know, in a few short weeks, I will have a degree in Television. That makes me pretty close to a professional. In the court of law, I could be an expert witness. Therefore, my opinions on TV programs should be taken seriously. Have I led anyone astray before? I mean, who wasn't watching Lost Season 1 obsessively in Baggy's room? Ashley, do you not love Veronica Mars and The Office? And Jeff sure loves himself some Heroes and 30 Rock. Trust me people, I know what's good for you. And Drive is is the fucking echinacea of television programming.

I hate life a little bit less now. Partly because I have discovered Drive, but mostly because it's midweek, and I'm always happiest when I'm interning. Weekends are a bit hard to deal with, because that's when I've got nothing to do and realize how lonely I am, but Monday through Friday I'm happy as an overworked and unpaid clam.

I switched my plane tickets. I'm going to be In Chicago from May12th-15th, then Novi from the 15th-19th. I did this mostly so that I wouldn't be alone in Cali on my birthday. Sure, I'm still flying back on my birthday, but at least I'll be able to spend most of the day with my family. The day I turned 20 in Florida was far and away the most miserable day of my life and I just don't even want to relive that experience again, so I'm VERY happy to be home for it this time. Also, it just so happens that I have an hour and a half layover in Chicago on my Birthday when I fly back to LA. No. I didn't plan that. But if anyone wants to stop by Midway and surprise me, feel free. Chances are good I won't be at Lolla this year, and for Thanksgiving and Christmas I'll be going right to Michigan. So if you don't see me at the airport, there's a good chance the rest of your 2007 will be Steveless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I saw your cancelled "Can't Wait to See You, Steve" on facebook, and I panicked a little bit. But now I'm okay.

I went to a talk by Rita Dove (the poet), and she talked about writer's block. She said to sit down and give yourself 10-15 minutes. Then get our your hat full of suggestions (ex- red, box, teddy, etc.) and pick one. Then just write for the ten and fifteen minutes without editing very much. That way, you won't be frustrated with bad writing because it WILL be bad. After a bit, you're supposed to be beyond your "writing consciousness" and able to write to write instead of thinking about the outcome! Oh Rita.

Anonymous said...

remember when we came and picked you up after your marathon?? SO proud of U dat day and 'ery DAY! U know dat tho rite???!!!

Anonymous said...

AHHH steveless!? Nooooo.

But about the writers block. You're worrying too much about writing something. If you don't want to be working on a script, don't have the inspiration for one, don't work on it. You can't write well if you're not feelin it.

And one thing I was doing last year (and wish I would have kept doing) is get a journal and spend the first ten minutes you are awake writing. Keep it next to your bed and just write while you wake up. It doesn't matter what you write. I usually write things like "fuck I'm tired, I can't see write now, my arm is asleep" but after doing it for awhile some interesting things start to come out, and it keeps the mind flowing to let the ideas come out. Sounds like bullshit but it works.