Sunday, April 22, 2007

Pledge

So it's Earth Day and I was listening to talk radio on my way back from San Diego this morning. (Yeah, it's 5am, I got 3 hours of sleep, it's still dark and I can barely keep my eyes open, but TALK RADIO seemed like a good stimulant). They had on people talking about doing our part to be environmentally conscious and all that. I decided that I was going to go green and start taking the train or bus to work.

Then I found out that while there are various rail and bus routes that can get me to The Weinstein Co, the shortest one would take an hour and a half. Granted, it already takes me fifty minutes to drive to work in the morning, but to take the bus I would need to get up at 7 am, and I wouldn't get home until 9:30 pm. Then, I thought "oh, well maybe I'll take do this once a week, that's still doing my part!" But being realistic, I don't think I'll be able to handle that kind of commute even once a week. But then again, my original plan for Semester in LA was to live in Huntington Beach, and that would have been like a two hour commute...

So, I cannot pledge to take public transportation every day, and I highly doubt I could manage to take it even once a week. But, I do pledge to make an effort to occasionally take the bus or train to work or class.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to walk to class everyday instead of taking the metro but right now i have a blister on my foot so i can't. it's like what do you want from me???

Anonymous said...

A few tips from your tree-hugging neighbor:

-turn off all the lights when you're finished
-don't leave the t.v. on
-turn your computer off at night and unplug it (this I can't do-- what can I say? I LOVE getting up to aim messages!)
-shut off the water while you brush your teeth

check! look at you, you earth lover!

Anonymous said...

They don't have pollution in europe dean! They went green back in the 1800s!

Anonymous said...

as long as you don't throw those plastic things that hold soda or beer cans together into the water, I say you're just fine!