I don't understand these student protests against the Bush Administration. Okay, let me clarify. I understand why students want to protest, and their point of view on everything, but what I don't understand is their incessant need to skip class in order to rally. I feel as though there are more Anti-Bush protests in a month than there are Fridays. What baffles me the most is how these organizations are always calling for students to skip class that day to make a statement. First of all, you're in college. No one gives a shit if you skip class. The only statement that's making is "I didn't go to class today." Students make that statement on a daily basis, regardless of the Bush Administration and genocide in Iraq. Second, you're PAYING to go to school. Dollars come out of your pocket and go to your college, and in return, you get to attend class, learn, get a piece of paper, and maybe (if you're lucky) get a job. So, what part of skipping class to protest makes sense from an economical standpoint? To me, it's like going to the grocery store, buying a dozen boxes of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and then protesting Hershey's Candy by not eating your cereal. Can't you protest on a Saturday? Can't all of the organizations who put these together come together to form one big one? Flaws. All I see are flaws.
In terms of LA, everything is going well. I got a car yesterday. A Focus. Liquid Grey. Here are a few true facts about why I got a car.
1. I'm graduating and I'm going to need one anyway.
2. LA is not a commuter city.
3. I'm under 25 and it is more economical to drive out there than rent one.
4. Since my Dad works for Ford and knows people and gets discounts, its better for me to get a car here.
My sublet may have fallen through. Sucks, because I was going to have my own bedroom and bathroom in a virtually empty house with all utilities (even internet and cleaning service) included for $600 a month. But it was only a temporary thing anyway, so I'm not going to worry about it. Once I get to California I'll stay with my Aunt and Uncle until I find a place.
I'm going to get a part-time job right away. Well, maybe not right away, but soon. Nothing too rigorous. But since SLA is supposed to be rather calm and easy, there's no reason I can't work 10-15 hours a week somewhere. I'm going to be more picky about it though. The days of My Pi and Campus Colors are over. I'd like to find a job relevant to what I want to do in life, but that might not happen right away. As it is now, I have saved enough money for almost two months of rent and an Improv class at Groundlings. But I don't have enough for food or any other per diem expenses ("per diem", as you know, is latin for "Busty Prostitutes") Plus there's that car I'm going to need to start paying for eventually. Oh wow, I'm growing up. I gots bills to pay.
I may have some connections to get myself an internship at Ellen. Also, there's the lady at NBC. On top of that, my portfolio advisor really liked me and told me to keep in touch with him and he may be able to get me a job as a PA or something on a new show called Swingtown, if it gets picked up. On top of that I'm applying for an internship at The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (pays really, really well, but super selective. I'll never get it), and a one-year writing fellowship at Nickelodeon, which also pays.
So, my days are usually spent working on essays, a spec script, my resume, getting letters of recommendation, and emailing people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
parteee this weekend! Yeah, the guy in charge of all those flyers was one of my teachers freshman year. He'd give us stacks of them and tell us to hand them out. I'd pitch them on the way out of class.
You could create the new AAAAaaalllll That!
Wow I haven't read blogs in a long time.
When I read growing up, for some reason I thought it said "going to throw up". I dunno, the thought of all that money might make me want to throw up. Or maybe its time to purge.
Post a Comment