At this point, it's not entirely surprising that my inability to pass up any opportunity, big or small, usually leads to an inconvenience of sorts. See: Team In Training, Columbia College Chicago, The Walt Disney World College Program, Summer Orientation, declaring a minor in Theatre...etc. It's no secret that if I could just let things be and ride the wave, I'd be done with college by now. I'd have a job. I'd be settled. I'd be looking back fondly.
Unfortunately, I can't just ride the wave. Because another wave comes along and I decide that the other wave looks just a little bit more exciting. So there I go. And it always turns out to be more exciting. And I never regret it. Regret is for people that are afraid to look forward.
But the issue is, every choice I make comes with a bonus repercussion, free of charge. At this point, these little endeavors of mine have caused me to be not only a 5th year super senior, but to still have summer classes to take after that.
Anyway, my point is...will I ever finish school!?!?!? I thought I had it all figured out. Take the last of my classes this semester, complete my minor and my gen eds, walk at Graduation (Navy Pier, suckers! But only this year, so be jealous.), do the One-Hour Drama Semester in LA program over the summer, and be done. It was perfect. My advisor even approved it. But then, I had to go and have dinner with the person in charge of the sitcom class. Now, the sitcom class is only offered in the spring. I had originally ruled it out, since it was not nearly as convenient as the summer program. However, Jack Gilbert made me realize that it's more important for me to do what I want to do (comedy) than do what's easier for me (drama). The sitcom class is right in the middle of pilot season, which is when the TV industry is truly hoppin'. So not only would I be taking this class because it's what I want to do in life, I'm taking it at the best time of the year to be in LA.
So now, I have to go to LA, then come back for three classes in the summer. Oh, and that means moving out of my apartment two months before the lease ends, but still paying rent. Also, I have to talk with my advisor and the chair of the department to see if I can get excused from Independent Producer's Workshop. But that means I would still need three more TV credits to graduate. And that means an internship (LA or Chicago) or taking some crappy summer class about motion graphics or something equally as irrelevant to me. I want to walk. To be honest, it's more important for me to walk at the ceremony than to actually get a diploma. My industry does not require a diploma. I really just want it to hang on the wall behind my desk some day. It will be a great conversation piece. I imagine those conversations to go something like this:
Angelina Jolie: What's that weird framed piece of paper on your wall?
Me: That's my diploma from Columbia College Chicago.
Angelina Jolie: It doesn't look like a diploma. It looks like the front of a menu.
Me: Yeah, it's pretty ugly, but it was important that I get it.
Angelina Jolie: Why? You don't need it.
Me: It has personal value. Go adopt a foreign kid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
IN THE FUTURE YOU WORK WIT ANGELINA JOLIE!?!?!
angelina isn't funny.
i graduated before you. ha. but you ran a half marathon.
the moral of your story was that nothing legitimate comes out of columbuia college?
I'm sad that I'll miss the festivities and egg breaking of Columbia College graduation ceremonies! Now I'll have to sit through a boring one where names are called, and I can fall asleep! Maybe I'll bring my own eggs to crack during the ceremony.
I'll come to your graduation. If you come to mine. I remember walking at high school graduation and feeling absolutely nothing and thinking, "I went through four years of hell for this?" At least I could count the pregnant girls walking on stage.
Post a Comment