Tuesday, March 07, 2006

This is a True Story


The first time I ever came to Chicago was to audition for The Real World: Paris. I came with Mark and Sarah. We got up at about 5 in the morning, drove out here, and stood in line for about 8 hours while we waited to go into the interview. For some reason the people running this thought it was a good idea to give you the application as soon as you arrived. So you filled out an application, then had a good 8 hours to step on it, roll it up, fold it, drop it in a puddle, and tear it. Once it was finally my turn, I was brought into this lounge area for the group interview. The group interview lasted about 20 minutes, and consisted of me rolling my eyes while a bunch of attention starved idiots went on and on about themselves, trying desperately to be noticed. No, I don't want to see you dance, dude. I'm sorry your dad is in jail but you are still boring, go home.

It was a waste of time, but I guess a good story to tell. But anyway, that's neither here nor there. The point is, when we came out here, we saw David from The Real World: New Orleans. So I knew what he looked like in person, and I knew he lived in Chicago. Which leads me to my next story.

David works at the Ritz Carlton off of Pearson. I swear to you. I was walking to my cousin's today and I saw this guy and I thought to myself "That kind of looks like David from Real World," and then I remembered he was in Chicago, and then I looked at his name tag. David. Coincidence? Fuck no. It was him. It was him for sure. He's a manager or something high up like that I guess. I make this judgement based on the fact that he had a suit on. And he was on Real World.

This week is crazy busy. I've got to finish storyboarding and tape my P&E II project. I have to work on my A&S II sound project. I have reading for Critical Studies. I have a midterm next week to study for. I have a scene to memorize. Lots of stuff. Also, I'm taking my Off The Clock pilot, or at least the first two acts of it, to Show-Off on Friday for these guys from some LA agency to look at. I'm kind of scared, because it basically sucks. I guess there's really nothing to be afraid of. I'm doing it for the experience. I'll value their feedback. I'd like to hear what they have to say. But still. I think my dream job would be coming up with ideas for shows while someone else writes them. I'll help with funny lines and dialogue, but as for story progression and character development, well you can just do it yourself and fill me in on that later.

So my friends had that little formal this weekend. The one in the study lounge. The one I refused to go to because I thought it was dumb. Well....I went. I know, I know. Hypocrite. I suck. I'm a loser. And guess what? I had fun. I almost wish I was there longer. Ok, I was also pretty drunk, which is why I went in the first place, but I'm glad I went. I think. I even dressed up, See? Sometimes it's fun to get gussied up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Brad from Real World: San Diego here once. He was carrying his dry cleaning... hmmm, that's it.

Anonymous said...

Mallory from Paris was spotted at a U of I bar 2 years ago.