Saturday, October 28, 2006

His Boy Elroy



7 out of 10 people on average seem to be able to figure out I'm Elroy Jetson. The other 3 always think I'm a train conductor, and offer an enthusiastic "Choo Choo!"

I'm not a train conductor...but maybe next year. It would be nice to get more use out of these overalls...actually no, it wouldn't. They are way too snug for my own liking. So scratch that. I'm loving being Elroy though. Check out the hat. See the antenna? ELROY!

I'm getting sick again. Not that I've been sick before, but I've been "getting sick" before. I seem to take care of myself well enough to the point where I am almost constantly at a state of almost-sickness, but never actually sick. I didn't get up early to run this morning, which pisses me off because that is why I went to bed early last night and didn't stay at Jacob's Halloween party, but I still plan on running today. In a little bit, after I finish cleaning my room and make some pasta. I'm drinking Airborne water right now, so that should take about six hours for me to finish choking down, then it's go time.

I'm going to LA next semester instead of in the summer. I think. I'm crossing my fingers that I get into the program. I met the guy who teaches the classes out there, and a few of us even got to go to dinner with him, and he made it sound like anyone who applies and wants to go generally gets to go. Here's hoping...

My plan had always been finish up at Columbia in the Spring Semester, then do Semester in LA in the summer for Writing the One-Hour Drama. That way, I'm done with school and I don't have to come back for school and if any good opportunities arise, I can nab them without worrying about coming back to finishing school.

The problem arose when I realized that I am a comedy person. Sure, Off The Clock is written as a one-hour drama, but it's still more a comedy than anything else. And I need to continue this. I love one-hours, I really do. A lot. I'm obsessed with so many of them. But what I'm good at writing is funny. And the best part is, our classes are on the CBS lot, which industry people call "Sitcom University." How can I pass that up? But the comedy program is in the spring. So...my new plan is Semester in LA in the Spring (it's basically just the month of March, so it's not a huge deal) then come back for Summer classes, then probably go back to LA and find something through the contacts and friendships I've built through the spring program. My biggest issue is still that I have to leave LA. What if I get an awesome job offer? Or a paid internship? Then what? Well that's a road I'll cross when I get there. Many people, even the chair of the TV Department, said to do the comedy program and come back to finish school. So the bad news is you'll have no Steve for all of March. The good news is you'll have me all summer long!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was talking on the phone when I clicked on here and started laughing hysterically when I saw the Elroy costume! Twelve kudos for you!

Anonymous said...

wait is the spring semester in LA only the month of march? Does that mean you have freedom for the rest of spring semester?

Anonymous said...

my 21st birthday will never be the same!