I guess making it to 100 is kind of cool. There are a few people I'd like to thank, while I'm up here. First and foremost, I'd like to thank my parentheses. I use them quite frequently (at least once every entry) and I doubt my blog would be what it is without them. Thank you (. Thank you ). I'd also like to thank Alicia Hirshfield for telling me to make a Deadjournal account. Not only that, she is the one that got me the registration code for Livejournal. Remember when you couldn't make an LJ account without getting a number from someone who already had one? Well, thanks to Alicia for that as well. She's moving to China tomorrow. I'll miss her. I'd like to go visit, since I've always wanted to go to Shanghai, but my mom insists that I don't. She is convinced that some stranger will plant illegal narcotics in my suitcase and I will be falsely persecuted and spend the rest of my life in a third world prison. And yes, she came to this conclusion after watching Brokedown Palace on Lifetime. Fucking Claire Danes always finds a way to ruin my international affairs.
I'd also like to thank those of you that comment here. It is no secret that in my writing, much like my entire life, for that matter, I seek constant validation. I'd like to thank those of you that comment frequently for supplying me with that. Mostly that means Dani and Dangles. If my blog were a Subway and you got your card punched for commenting, those two would be munching on a 12 inch Daily Special right now. Although Twigger, Baggy, and Jenny often jump in with things to say as well. So does Ashley Rush from Disney, which is slightly random but that's why I love it. If you don't comment, I still appreciate that you at least read what I say. No. That's a lie. Fuck off. Either comment or jump off a fucking cliff. You ingrates.
I really need to finish Catch 22. I really love it. I just don't love reading. I used to read all the time. I was a big reader. My mom would always say, "Oh yeah, Steve loves to read." She'd take me to Borders once a week so I could get a new book. I was reading in the intermediate section way before anyone else! I was onto Fear Street when everyone else was still reading Goosebumps. Not that I didn't read Goosebumps too. But they really only took me about 3 hours to get through. I didn't notice at the time, but Goosebumps sure had some ridiculous titles. What was RL Stine
thinking?Seriously?
My mom used to tell me that RL Stine didn't write all of the books. That he had writers that worked for him, because it was impossible to write an entire novel once a month. Yeah, I can see that. But come on. The Horror at Camp JellyJam? A Shocker on Shock Street? Yeah, I could believe that Shakespeare had help writing his plays, but to say that RL Stine needed help to make Egg Monsters From Mars just doesn't seem right.
Back to Catch 22. How is it that I am a writer (I've been published on websites, I go to SCHOOL for writing, I have a blog, I've written and registered a treatment and script for an original pilot) and I just can't sit down and read? I'll finish it eventually. Besides, I DID read Grapes of Wrath for fun once. That's gotta count for something.
My two biggest priorities right now are to finish my Off The Clock script and to finish reading Catch 22. Having my computer die made it a little harder to finish OTC, but once I get back to Chicago, I'm buckling down. I've had a few other ideas that I'd like to work on, but not until I finish this. My other pilot idea is about a family of carnies. Also I have an idea for a show based on all my friends in Chicago. But OTC comes first. I forgot my Batman notebook in Chicago and it's killing me that I can't write down my ideas. Then again, it's not like I've had that many. Hmmm. Uh-Oh. Am I boring now? I mean, the Goosebumps part, that was pretty good, right? Now I'm just talking about myself and my writing and I feel I've lost my audience. Quick Steve, think of something.

Yeah. There you are.
Annnyway. I went to my grandparents house this weekend. They just moved to a farm. My grandmas brothers used to live in the house, and I used to go up to the farm a lot when I was little. However, it seems that the years of Oakland County, Novi Public Schools, 12 Oaks Mall, Fountain Walk, and living in Downtown Chicago have really taken the country boy out of me (was there ever one in me? No. Probably not). It was a weekend of picking corn and potatoes, burning garbage, and going out after dinner to look for deer. I really really wanted to go to the Demolition Derby at the county fair, but that didn't happen. It brought back a lot of memories of my childhood trips up to the farm. Like the cats that lived in the barn and scratched the hell out of my arm when I tried to pet one. Or the time I went swinging on a rope in the barn and accidently let go and fell about 10 feet on my back. Or the time I went walking around with my Dad and ran ahead and shouted "Follow me Dad!" and without looking jumped right into a giant pile of cow shit. You know the Beatle's song "Mother's Nature's Son?" It's about me.
It really was a good weekend though. I got to relax and work outside and not even think about cell phones or internet or anything.
Happy 100! Here's to 100 more. Oh wait, didn't I used to write about jobs or something? Eh...Peace out.
4 comments:
My favorite Goosebumps is, "Let's Get Invisible" followed closely by "One Day at Horrorland". My mom would never buy me the books because I read them so quickly.
100 is a big deal. You should have a party when you get back and serve 100 Grand Bars! Ok, that was really lame. But seriously, when are we going to go running?
Thank you for the thank you. Sometimes us commentors (sp?) feel as if we're not appreciated, but blogs like this make a girl feel on top of the world!
and don't think you're getting out of Java City Chapter!
HAPPY 100!
I appreciate you recognizing me as a good commenter as well. Some people just read and leave. It's kind of like dining and dashing but without the full feeling. But your blogs leave me feeling full. And well.
Sometimes I dine and dash. but only if I have something important to do and I'm torn away from the computer before I can comment. Or when I can think of anything witty, clever, or relevant to say.
P.S. I read the first 100 pages of Catch 22. It couldn't catch me. it actually lost my interest. Now I turn to Devil in the White City for love.
Post a Comment