Wait a minute…didn’t The Real World Key West just end like..I don’t know…THIS MORNING? Seems like I was just witnessing the antics of Svetlana and…ummm…I guess that’s the only name I remember. Whatever the case may be…it’s already time for another one. Although, from the looks of it, they could easily be using the exact same cast as the last three seasons. I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. Remember Frankie? I miss her. Good ol’ boat-fearin’ self-mutilatin’ freak show Frankie. I hope she's well.
MTV claims this is an entirely new group of seven strangers, so I’ll just go with the flow. Here they are…
Meet Colie! She’s graduating college! In New Orleans! Don’t think MTV won’t use this as an opportunity for an “emotional” montage of Hurricane Katrina‘s devastation. They're trying to tug at the heartstrings. Keep tugging. Colie is the first person we meet in the cast. We also spend the longest amount of time with her. This shows three things.
1. Colie is the “every man” of the group, whom we will relate with the most.
2. Colie will be the last person to leave the house on the final episode.
3. I’m already fucking sick of her. She kind of looks like Claire Forlani’s lanky and awkward brother.
Meet Jenn! She’s a dancer for the Oakland Raiders! She loves to party! She is a board-certified neurosurgeon. Can you guess which one of those I made up?
Meet Tyrie! Black guy from Omaha. Wait…black guy from Omaha? How’d he get there? He refers to Jenn’s chest as “Silocone Valleys.” I throw up a little on my keyboard.
Meet Alex! ASU student. Majoring in Psych. AKA: going to be on a million RW/RR Challenges when he can’t get a real job. (See: The Miz).
Meet Brooke! Doe-eyed southern belle. She wants an adventure and to meet new people and learn new things. Blah blah blah...
Meet Stephen! He goes to a historically black college. Wait..what? Another black guy? Wasn't there a Tyrie, or something? Omaha? Wait, did the Real World Denver already end? Is this a new season? I’m confused….there couldn’t be TWO black guys...What's going on!?
Meet Davis! He’s a Souther Baptist. Loves church. So does Stephen! They bond over their love of God. They’re gonna go to church together. (Sidenote: Davis is obviously the gay one. Shhhh we‘re not supposed to know yet!)
The Denver house basically looks like every other Real World house of recent years. Crazy weird furniture that looks entirely too uncomfortable to actually sit on. Strange props such all over the place. Wait…is that a ski lift chair? The bar is a Jeep? The cast goes crazy and loses their shit over the whole place. Wow, like you’ve never seen a giant fish tank before?
Davis wonders if Stephen will have a religious issue with “some of the things he brings into the house.” Yeah, he’s gay but it’s a secret. Didn’t I already say that? If that's not an obvious giveaway, I don't know what is...
Everyone goes to get alcohol, because MTV apparently didn’t stock the house (Which I find hard to believe). Colie and Davis stay behind. They are in the hot tub talking and Davis admits to being gay, but says he isn’t ready to tell anyone. Wait…didn’t we already know that he was gay? Meanwhile, Stephen is ranting about homosexuals and how wrong and bad they are. Oh wow. This is the first time in my memory that I can think of a gay guy on The Real World having a hard time being accepted. Oh, except for the original Real World. And San Francisco. And Hawaii. And Key West. And Paris. Chicago...Miami...I mean…just off the top of my head. But aside from that…The Real World 18 is TOTALLY original.
Truth or Dare time. Jenn says that she is totally cool with making out and getting drunk. Wow. Color me shocked. One of the black guys tells Alex to make out with Colie’s neck. Deep down I hope he bites her jugular. That would make things slightly less predictable at this point. Plus I hate Colie.
Alex and Colie flirt and make out. They go to bed together. The next day, Colie can’t keep her mouth shut about Alex, even though nobody is listening to her. Not Jenn. Not Brooke. Not even me. I’m programming my voice mail and thinking about what I want for dinner.
After a long day of laying in the sun, Jenn decides that she is so tired and needs to shower and relax in bed. You deserve it, girl. It’s been a long day. I mean after all that tanning, you must be EXHAUSTED.
Brooke is once again complaining that nobody is gay. Little does she know Davis is talking about his big queer lifestyle in the other room, with his sister Garland. Wait…Garland? Are you serious?
….GARLAND?!!?
Having consumed the entire suppy of liquor in the house, the cast heads to a bar to do some mid-afternoon drinking. Laughs and good times. Until JENN ASKS IF ANYONE IS GAY! OH GOD JENN! DAVIS IS! BUT STEPHEN IS A HOMOPHOBIC! AND HE’S HIS ROOMMATE! OH NO! Stephen admits to having “a bad perception of what gay people are.” Which you have to admit, is a lot more eloquent than “Damn! I hate fags!” Stephen just cant BELIEVE it, though. Davis seemed so straight! How can he be gay? Stephen confesses to the camera that this is a totally different experience than he thought it would be. Ummm..I knew there’d be a gay guy. Everyone else knew there’d be a gay guy. Dumb Brooke even knew there’d be a gay guy. What were you expecting? The notion of two African Americans in the house has definitely thrown all of our perceptions off.
Apparently, Davis’ mom thinks he’s going to hell. She hates him. I can’t wait for her to visit. Her and Stephen can burn pictures of Matthew Shepard and protest funerals together.
Tattoo talk. Alex shows everyone his ridiculous tattoo on his upper thigh, which says “Hey!” Not to be outdone when it comes to being an unoriginal dumbass, Jenn proclaims how badly she wants a tattoo of lips on her ass. Get it? “Kiss my ass?” Ohhhh Jenn. She's a party girl, did you know?
The gang comes home from a night of volunteer work...I mean...drinking. Alex and Colie plan to go to bed together. Alex tells her he’ll meet her upstairs in twenty minutes. And what does he need this twenty minutes for? To do shots with cheerleader Jenn, of course. Colie is now upstairs PTFO’d while Alex and Jenn start making out downstairs. The two of them put a pizza in the oven and go make out in the guest room. Colie wakes up, which we are supposed to believe is because the timer from the oven went off, but I imagine that one of the producers threw a shoe at her so that she would get up and go downstairs.
Alex breaks Colie’s heart by saying he doesn’t want to hook up with roommates. See, Colie is playing the part of the girl with an unrequited infatuation for another roommate who will never get a fucking clue. This is something we haven’t seen before, either! Except for the original Real World. And Las Vegas. And San Diego. And Philadelphia. Boston. Hawaii. New Orleans…
Alex, after telling Colie he doesn’t want to hook up with a roommate, goes off with Jenn and seals the deal. Leading us to the quote of the night.
“And then I realize….oh my god. I’m having sex.”
-Jenn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I like this season! The trashier the better is what I always say. I didn't like Key West- like no one had sex in the house, and that's how I rate a good season. Although I did catch some similiarties between the opening to RW Las Vegas opening with Trishelle, Brynn, and Steven hooking up and the whole hook up scene of this cast.
How much you wanna bet this cast will be working some kind of ski job outside?
Since there's two black guys, how am I supposed to tell them apart? If I'm lucky, the gay one will wear sequins or glitter or something.
haha. i always throw shoes at people when i want them to wake up.
Post a Comment