Saturday, September 16, 2006

bite off more than you can chew

I don't know what possessed me to become so involved and active this semester. I guess it's not that much of a surprise. Ever since I came to Columbia I've been taking on more and more, but this semster I am really pushing it.

Taking six classes was somewhat necessary. I need to make sure that I am done after Spring. And taking six classes now will hopefully help so that I can be part time next semester, meaning I can have a full time job and save up money for LA.

Then there's SGA. I was the TV Department Senator last year, so of course I came back to do it again. Actually, I did NOT want to do Student Government again, but once I had competition for the Senator position, it suddenly became much more important for me to run for Senator again.

And a job. Thanks to Baggy, and the fact that I happened to be friends with his new boss, I managed to snag a job as an office assistant at Student Affairs. It's pretty laid back and there's even time to do homework, so it's hard to complain about the work situation.

And the other job. I told my cousin I would start walking Shilo again in September. I had to stick with my word, despite the fact that I barely have time to get over there and back between classes on some days. I'd say that I can't do it, but the other dog walkers have already made their fall schedules, and I would be causing a big hassle if I quit two weeks after starting again. And it's an extra forty bucks a week.

And the marathon. I've been following the training schedule (even getting up at 6am to run on Saturdays) and things haven't been too hard yet, but that's only because we're on four miles. Once I'm running double that, running is going to be harder to fit in

And the fundraising. To do the marathon I have to rasie $3,900. That's a lot of money. But I can do it. I have full confidence that I can raise that much, if not more. I've even set up a website for people to make their donations online. I've compiled an enormous mailing list for the site. Now I just need to type up a letter and send it out to everyone. I've also got some Team In Training stationary and envelopes for the people who don't know about internet.

And I entered Off The Clock into a teleplay competition.

And I'm going to help Maggie and some other people write a screenplay.

And I auditioned for a show, even got a callback.

Basically I am gone from 9am-9pm Monday through Friday. But it's not bad. In two years I'm going to look back on these college days, which are rapidly decreasing, and be glad that I did so much.

Classes are good. I'm going to be doing a lot of work, and a lot of writing especially. I'm definitely glad I finished Off The Clock before classes started.

Oh, and I just found out that my friend's mom reads this. I'm quite excited. I hope that wasn't a secret that I wasn't supposed to know about, but I haven't been this exciting about other people's parents since Carrie Burnett's mom cried when I jumped in front of the subway train in After The Fall.

I bought two books online because they were cheaper. Too bad they never came and the sellers at half.com are no longer registered users. Too bad they have about 20 pieces of negative feedback claiming to never receive their books. Too bad I now have to go buy them for their full outrageous price at the bookstore. Too, too bad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never see you anymore! Thankfully we have AIM, which I've realized we talk on for about an hour a day anyway. Let's get drunk.

Steve-O said...

nobody has seen me because i'm gone all the time and since training is at 6am on Saturdays I don't go out.

Anonymous said...

I still see you when you're making pipe cleaner interpretations of yourself at work!