Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Life in LA, a summer checklist, etc.

Things I want/need to get done now that it's summer.

Oh...wait.

I'm a real person now.

I don't have vacay.

I don't hours upon hours of freetime to play outside and hang out and do whatever I please.

The rest of my life is now an endless cycle of living for the weekend.

Well...regardless. Here's my list.

-Write a spec script of 30 Rock
-Write Leper High (it's a feature length script now. My boss at Weinstein told me she'd go over it for me)
-Find an apartment (pretty hard seeing as how I need to move June 15th and every place I see is available either June 1st, July 1st, or now. So my best bet is to wait until later in the month and get one that says "available now," later.)
-Find a job. I've been sending out my resume and making a few calls, but I still have a month to go at Weinstein, so I'm not too concerned. Plus I know at least one of my bosses will help me out with this. Hey...maybe even both.
-Do more comedy. Once Flavin and other friends are out here, I plan on doing an open mic night at a comedy club.
-Get an oil change.
-Buy actual groceries and stop eating turkey sandwiches every day (once I get a job)

That seems good enough.

Life in LA is alright. I feel like this house in Burbank is sucking the life out of me. I have nothing to do any no one to talk to. I rarely feel like running or writing, which are like... my two main things. Hopefully things will change when I have my own place. Basically, my quality of life will improve once I have a TV again.

I'm too ambitious. I don't know if that's coming off as a cocky thing to say...but it's true. I drive myself crazy. I'm always worried that I'm missing out on some opportunity I don't know about, and so I am constantly obsessing over my future. Working in this industry isn't a cut and dry sort of thing. You don't start at the bottom and work your way up to writer. Since there's no clear line of promotions and job progression, there are far too many opportunities and choices for someone like me. Do I want to try to be a PA? Or work at an Agency? Or something else? I'd love to be a writer's assistant, but those are pretty hard jobs to get, so unless either of my bosses can pull some strings...I'm not holding my breath.

Do I even want to work in the industry? Is TV really my livelihood?

Answer: No. It's not. I'm starting to wonder if it ever was. I really just want to be funny. That's why I love Groundlings so much. As much as I'd love to get a job as a writer on a sitcom, I'd be even more thrilled to finish studying Improv and be a part of a troupe. Even if it doesn't pay that well. But acting and improv isn't going to pay my bills, and chances are if it ever does, that time will not be soon. Working in TV and trying to make something of myself in that capacity is a good way to pay the bills and make connections, so that one day I can get paid to be funny, whether writing or performing.

This post is dedicated to Twigger. I didn't feel like blogging, but she wanted to know how my life was. She's a sweetheart, even if she can be a pistol sometimes.

Aunt Betty

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

birth.

did i mention that i want to move to LA so i can be closer to you?

also, i think you have the potential to be the male sarah silverman aka jimmy kimmel]. I can do your hair.


food garbage.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, my summers stop being loads of free time when I had to work every second I could to pay bills and that getting into the entertainment industry required more than just going to class.

But I still dream that I have loads of free time.

And yay for more blogs! (Not that I blog much so I don't have much room to demand)

Anonymous said...

a pistol! a firecracker! a piece of work! something else! full of life! vivacious! I miss you Steve, and once school is out I'll be online more!

Anonymous said...

So I had a dream that Christopher Walken walked past me at a play and said in French (though my friend with me understood what he said and translated), "I bless you with splendid eggs." I took it as reproduction.