So I just watched (shamefully, might I add) the Real World Awards show. Basically it is two hours of paying tribute to the TV show that not only represents everything wrong with television, but with society in general.
As gut-wrenchingly awful as they were, I couldn't help but feel nostalgic. First and foremost, we sometimes forget that The Real World started as not only valid television, but a valid social experiment. It was quite awkward the way MTV tried to play that card in addition to glorifying the later seasons for their threesomes, arrests, and all around bad taste. The same show that contains a a 5 minute tribute to Pedro, who went on the The Real World San Franciscoto spread AIDS awareness, also awards Colie from Real World Denver for being the "Biggest Playa," AKA having the most sex with the most amount of partners. I kept thinking of Newton Minow saying that "television is a vast wasteland" as MTV honors Brynn, Trishelle, and Steven from Las Vegas for having sex in a bath tub. My personal favorite moment was when Coral from New York won "Person We Love To Hate" and threw the award in the pool, saying that it is nothing to be proud of.
And yet...I watched the whole thing. From beginning to end. And more than feeling disgusted...I felt strangely nostalgic. For as ridiculous as the show has gotten, for as pathetic as the new castmembers may appear to be, we've grown up with this show. Mock me all you want, but I can attribute any season of the The Real World to a specific time in my life.
I remember watching the Real World Boston in 7th grade, being in love with Elka, and enthralled by Genesis, partly because she was a lesbian, and partly because her name was Genesis.
I remember watching Stephen slap Irene in Seattle. When it originally aired.
I remember watching Hawaii the summer after Freshman year religiously because I quit band and had no friends. Colin and Amaya got together before it was standard for all roommates to hook up. Ruthie almost died on the first night.
I remember flying to Australia after junior year, being terrified of the flight, and reading an issue of TV Guide where the cover story was The Real World New Orleans about five times, just to keep myself distracted.
I remember the 9/11 episode of Real World Chicago, thinking the producers handled it quite well, then felt sick to my stomach when the next episode went right back to them bitching at each other for talking on the phone too long and hooking up in the hot tub.
I remember going to Alicia and Jared's apartment freshman year, for the first episode of Las Vegas. I remember saying "Palms spelled backwards is SMLAP!" and laughing hysterically because none of us were of sound mind. I remember all of us coming to the unanimous conclusion that this show was really starting to suck. Still...Tuesday nights at 10 was appointment television as everyone in the Garneau/Harvey dorm at WMU would watch it. Oh yes. The fork throw.
I remember living in a house in Kalamazoo, having digital cable, and reading the description of one Real World Paris episode as "Ace has a friend visit. Christena gets drunk" and thinking "Wow...this show isn't gonna last much longer." Note: That was 8 seasons ago.
Also, I remember auditioning for Real World Paris.
I remember living in Florida and watching a marathon of The Real World San Diego when I had gotten second degree burns all over my face and couldn't work. I also remember that the last episode of the season coincided with the time I was leaving Florida. I remember being strangely affected by the finale...and being embarrassed.
I remember living in the frat house at University of Chicago, flipping through channels, and thinking "What the fuck? They're in Austin now? Since when?" Also, discovered they were in Philadelphia before that.
Most recently...I remember watching The Real World Hollywood and being thoroughly entertained by the way MTV portrayed Hollywood. Just so you know, Hollywood is nowhere near the beach. And it is twenty minutes from Downtown....yet they always use Downtown for establishing shots. Also, none of the places they go are walking distance from the house, yet we always see them walking home.
Annnyway, you can make fun of me all you want. Yes. I know way too much about these people. Yes. I know why they call her Paula Walnuts. Yes. I remember Tonya's blood clot in a cup. Yes. I have a man-crush on Cohutta. But I'm not ashamed of any of it. While it may not be the socially relevant, dinner-table-discussion invoking program it once was, it's nice to know that whenever I'm bored on a Saturday, there will probably be a marathon of the latest season, and I can get caught up in the inconsequential, downright laughable hijinx of seven ridiculously good looking, morally bankrupt, soon-to-be has-beens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I feel like I'm leaving my friends behind every time a Real World ends, but as soon as they show a preview for the next challenge I'm back again.
I remember not being allowed to watch the Real World. I think technically I'm still not allowed. I also remember when they actually had real people with actual AMBITIONS and GOALS and IDENTITIES--Kevin Powell, Pedro and even Heather B. are maybe the best examples.
Post a Comment