I hate the new iPod Nano commercial and I hate that Fiest song. In general, I hate the sheer magnitude of indie artists who sell their songs to be used in commercials. Now, everyone knows that I am by no means a music purist (the number one most-played song on my iTunes is "Move Along" by All-American Rejects, which has been played a whopping eleven times), and it's not even a question of whether or not I feel that artists are selling out. Shit, I think selling out is just fantastic. If I were a rock star you can guarantee I'd be hawking anything from iPods to dental floss, so long as it made me a buck. No, the whole situation is a matter of smugness to me. I think that too many people who listen to indie rock are smug hipsters. I also think that too many people who use Apple products (save the iPod, since everyone and their Great Aunt Lily know their way around a click wheel) are smug hipsters. Ergo, this combination of indie rock and Apple product endorsement is too much smugness for me to handle. And don't get me started on the Mac vs. PC commercials. I would actually be a big fan of Justin Long, but every time I see him in a movie I just can't help but think of those fucking commercials and his dopey-yet-knowing smile. "Gawsh! I can edit my own movies with programs that come pre-installed on teh MacBook Pro! My tight hooded sweatshirt has patches on the elbows!"
Don't get me wrong, this isn't an anti-Mac iRant. I just hate smugness, which thereby decreases my tolerance for Apple and Indie Rock. Oh, and Lucky Brand Jeans.
I called in sick to work today. I'm feeling pretty crappy. A few double doses of DayQuil have really done the trick, though. I think Sudafed would have better suited my needs, but I forgot my ID when I went to CVS, and seeing as how you practically need to join the registry of sex offenders to purchase Sudafed, I had to settle for the small time. I picked a bad day to get sick, though, since they were shooting 24 in my building. Luckily Keifer and company will be returning tomorrow, so I still get some Hollywood excitement. Speaking of which, CSI: New York shot in my parking structure last week, and I saw Carrie Underwood shooting her new music video too!
In other work news, I still need to work on this whole networking thing. Everyone stresses how important it is to get to know people, since that's the only way you get ahead. My biggest issue here is my lack of desire to get ahead in this field. I want to write and perform comedy, and working as a PA gives me the hours and flexibility to continue with that. I consistently have to push myself to smile and acknowledge important people around me, and desperately struggle to make small talk in the elevators. I also need to continue to remind myself that I have only been in LA for six months, and while things are going well, nothing big is going to happen overnight. I do love my job though. A lot. For the first time EVER I don't care when it's Sunday night because I enjoy going in to my job the next day.
Our Emmy Party was on Sunday. Unfortunately, we lost to Amazing Race, which is apparently nothing new. It's hard to compete with a midget in knight's gear. I suppose the fact that Top Chef got nominated and Survivor is a pretty good accomplishment in and of itself. Also, I really had jack shit to do with the production of either of those shows, so my bout of disappointment consisted of a small shrug and then joining the rest of the crowd in booing the Amazing Race acceptance speech. The party was fun. It was at a super nice place in West Hollywood and so it was cool to be at a real live industry event. I still have no dress shoes, but I probably would have worn black sneakers again regardless. I fucking hate dress shoes more than Apple commercials, I really do.
In other exciting news (I can't believe I saved this for last. I should have opened with something so great), I signed up for Blockbuster Online again and have been getting discs of Prison Break season 2. Sure, that doesn't sound all that exciting, but yesterday my envelope came, and not only did it have Disc 2 inside, it also had The Holiday starring Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet! That's right! A used copy of The Holiday in a paper sleeve to call my very own! And I never have to return it! Sometime this week Mike, Jim, and I are going to go pick up some Haagen Dazs, a few pizzas, watch The Holiday and just PIG OUT!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
They were shooting something on sheffield between fullerton and wrightwood yesterday. I'm not sure what.
I too hate indie-hipster-apple smugness, though I enjoy indie music and own an iPod. This might make me somewhat of a hypocrite, but I don't think I'm smug at least? I hate indie concerts because even though everyone paid $20-30 bucks to be there, they refuse to admit they like the music and just stand there with their arms crossed. Ugh I want to rock out and punch them in the face.
I LOVED THE HOLIDAY! I'd watch it again in a heartbeat! Cameron Diaz will leave you breathless!!!!!
I LOVE THE HOLIDAY! I really really do!!!
I hate the phone commercials with the blonde guy with the four other guys. And then I hate when a commercial makes me angry, so I become more angry.
I'm thinking of having a "You've Got Mail" night soon.
Post a Comment