Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chapter 13: 9 Days On Campus

Let's make this clear right from the beginning. This will be a short chapter. A very short chapter. I was only at Campus Colors for less than two weeks, and it was four years ago, so I don't remember all that much about it. I wish I could give exciting, detail-filled recounts of what went on at the Collegiate Sportswear retailer, because yeah, doesn't it just sound so juicy? Unfortunately...this is all I remember...

  1. The manager's name was Andrea, but she pronounced it Ahn-dray-uh. She was one of those people who gets really upset when you pronounce their name wrong, so she HATED being called Ann-dree-uh. This always puzzled me because you'd think that she would be well aware of the fact that besides a character on 90210, nobody in the western world named Andrea pronounces it any other way than Ann-dree-uh. She was nice, I guess. I don't remember. Yeah. She was probably nice.
  2. The assistant manager's name was Frannie, but she pronounced it Fraw-nay. Just kidding. No she didn't. She said "Frannie." She was from Michigan, like me. When she said she was from Detroit I laughed and said "No, really. What suburb?" and she just looked at me and said "No. I'm from Detroit." Apparently there are still white people that live in Detroit. Her name is Frannie.
  3. Aside from Frannie and Andrea, I honestly couldn't tell you the name, or even gender, of any of the other people I worked with. I know there was a girl. And I know we ate pizza on the floor together once.
  4. Although I was only at Campus Colors for nine days in December, that Spring I had the best March Madness bracket of my life. It was still a really shitty bracket, but worlds above anything I've assembled since.
  5. I ate a lot of McDonalds when I worked there. See? I'm really reaching here...
  6. My back was sore a lot. I could never figure out why. Maybe from all of the lifting and bending. I started rubbing myself up against various hooks and stands as a sort of self-massage. I wonder if one of my old coworkers is currently writing various chapters about every job they ever held, and right now they are mentioning the weirdo at Campus Colors who rubbed himself on clothes racks.
  7. I only got to go home for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I was scheduled back to work the day after. I got in that morning and they said that the store was dead, so I wasn't needed. They did that the next day, too. And the day after that. I had come back to Chicago a week early, while everyone else was still home for the holidays, so that I could get a phone call every morning telling me to stay home.
  8. I got sent home for having pink eye once. It was awesome. The not working part, I mean. The pink eye sucked.

No comments: