I've done some stupid stuff. We all know this. It's kind of what makes me quirky and charming. No doubt it probably knocks several decades off my life expectancy, but let's just focus on quirky and charming.
I ran out of gas on my way home from class yesterday. This moment was a long time coming, since I generally don't put more than five dollars worth of gas in my car at a time, and the gas light is warning me on quite a consistent basis. But here's where the situation gets sticky...
I have to drive over a large hill (I don't know why everyone calls it a "hill," because for all intents and purposes, it's mountain-sized) every day. Going up the hill, when I'm on an incline, the gas light is always on, because of the way the gauge is set up in my tank. On the way downhill, the gauge always says I have more than I do. One may think that these variables are easy to take into consideration and work around, but believe me, sometimes laziness/stupidity will catch up with you. My incompetence came and bit me on the ass halfway up Laurel Canyon, when I finally ran out of gas. What do you do when you run out of gas? Pull over, obviously, but then what? I wanted to call someone and have them come help me, but I would have felt like a huge dumbass. Not like walking all the way over the hill to a gas station and explaining the situation would be any better, but at least the gas station attendant wouldn't make fun of me for the rest of my life like my friends would. If you work at a gas station, you're in no position to judge. Plus I could just mosey on in, smile, say that I've come to purchase some gasoline for my riding lawn mower, and no one's the wiser.
Walking up a mountain when it's 97 degrees out sucks. Yeah, some might say "well at least it's a dry heat!" To them, I say "Fuck you. It's still 97 degrees no matter how you slice it." It always looks so sexy in movies, when people's cars break down and they have to find the nearest service station for help. Toned bodies glisten with sweat in the sun, while miraculously we witness no pit stains or swamp ass.
I don't know what possessed me to do what I did next. Perhaps it was curiosity. Or maybe temporary insanity brought on by dehydration and chafed thighs. Could have been the fact that I feel safe anywhere I go in LA as long as I see a lot of nice cars around. Whatever the reason, I slowly lifted my left arm, held my hand up towards the road...and stuck my thumb out.
Don't worry. I lived to tell the tale. Not only that, but I got a free tank of gas, and had Mojitos with Andrea Barber. (IMDB her if you must.) It's really a fun story that I'll have to get around to telling one day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
steph and i ran out of gas like 15 minutes outside of Champaign and we called AAA and paid like 2 bucks for just enough gas to make it to the station.
(ps, Most people who won't call friends because they're scared they'll get made fun of don't write about it on the internet!)
When you got in the car were you shaking? I think I could have asked for the ride but once entering the car and closing the door, I'd freak out a little and watch the driver's every move!
(pps, I figured I'd put the ps first just to be different.)
Actually, I just really felt like typing more. Ever get into those moods where you like to type?
OH MY GOD!!! KIMMY!!!!!!!!! Tell more tell more!!!!
And, I guess those were just rumors and she's not dead... or wait, was that the best friend from Family Matters?
Jess, I knew you were going to go there ... but seriously ... did you hitch hike and get picked up by Kimmy Gibler?
Steph Treppler
Hitchhiking with the stars!
Thats awesome. Stupidity gets you into good story situations.
Am I the only one that gets this?
You must be.
Post a Comment